After Seven Years of Displacement...First Convoy for the Displaced to Serê Kaniyê (Rais Al-Ain) Begins the Journey of Return

With the launch of the first return convoys,families of S Serê Kaniyê /Rais Al-Ain will begin a new phase amid security and logistical preparations to pave the way for a broader return.

Al-Hasakah — After seven years of displacement and life in camps, the first phase of the return of families from Serê Kaniyê/Ras al-Ayn to their city and villages began today, Monday, August 10, with the departure of the first convoy carrying more than 400 families—a step that comes after years of demanding safe, organized, and dignified return.

The convoy's departure comes amid security and logistical preparations paving the way for the displaced to return to their areas, amid hopes that this step will mark the beginning of a broader return and an end to years of displacement endured by thousands of families.

Serê Kaniyê/Ras al-Ayn and Girê Spî/Tel Abyad had been subjected to attacks by the Turkish occupation on October 9, 2019, which led to the displacement of hundreds of thousands of civilians from their homes and areas. Since then, families of Serê Kaniyê have been forced to live in displacement camps under difficult living and humanitarian conditions.

Throughout the years of displacement, families continued to demand their right to return to their homes and lands, affirming their commitment to a safe return that preserves their dignity, rights, and property, despite the lack of humanitarian aid and basic services in the camps.

The current phase, according to available information, comes within the framework of the January 29 agreement between the interim government and the Syrian Democratic Forces, which includes opening the way for the return of displaced persons to their areas, within arrangements aimed at ensuring safe and organized return and protecting the rights and property of residents.

As part of the preparations for return, security measures and mine and war remnant clearance operations have been completed in the areas of Serê Kaniyê, in preparation for receiving returnees and securing return routes and areas of settlement.

410 Families in the First Return Convoys

Zahra Simo, spokesperson for the Serê Kaniyê Displaced Committee, told our agency that the first convoy departed today toward the city, explaining that it includes 410 families. "If no problems arise, a convoy will depart every week toward our city. We hope that the suffering of displacement will end and that everyone will be able to return to Serê Kaniyê."

She called on all relevant parties to provide support to returning families, contribute to the reconstruction of Serê Kaniyê, and prepare the necessary conditions for the resumption of life there.

She emphasized the importance of the security aspect, affirming that internal security forces will protect the convoys and returning families, and work to secure roads and return areas.

She affirmed that the current convoy represents the first phase of the return process, expressing hope for its continuation until all displaced persons of Serê Kaniyê are able to return to their city and homes in safety and dignity.

Seven Years of Waiting

Suad Omar described the return day as the fulfillment of a dream families had waited for over seven years, considering that reaching this moment marks the end of a long period of suffering.

She said: "For seven years, we have lived in suffering and hardship due to displacement. We faced various kinds of difficulties, enduring summer heat, winter cold, snow, and harsh conditions to reach this day. We were only waiting to reach this moment. We are returning to our city and our homes."

For her part, Nora Muhammad described safe return as her family's greatest hope. "We want to live in safety and tranquility. Today we take the road toward our homes to start our lives anew. For two days, we have not been able to sleep from joy. We want to reach our homes as soon as possible."

White Flowers... A Symbol of Return and Hope

The feelings of return were not limited to adults. Shams Ahmad spoke of her children's joy, as they carried white flowers on their way to their city, considering them a symbol of peace and safety.

She added: "My children are carrying white flowers. Their father gave them these flowers and told them they are for a life of peace and safety. We are very happy, and my children are also very happy because they will return to their neighborhood and their school again."

She continued: "Today our dreams come true, and the dreams of our children and our ancestors. For us, this return is not just a return to a place to live; it is the return of hope, family, children, and new life."

With the departure of the first convoy, the families of Serê Kaniyê begin a new phase after years of displacement, as families look forward to the gradual expansion of the return process, and for security and service conditions to allow the remaining displaced to return to their city and villages.